2011-03-17

Help Japan... with socks!

Posted by Suteisi ♥ at 9:32 AM
Many people I know, who share their love of Japan with me, have sent money to disaster relief companies across the world to help Japan. While I think this is very generous of them, I have been having a small battle within myself on weither to send money or not.


I could spare 10$ but I worry. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, donating money can rarely ever be a bad thing, it's good actually. But more I read, the more it seems as though relief organizations are “over funded”, it's like they have more money than they know what to do with. Surely, with everyone donating around the world, even just in America itself, they would have plenty.



Tofugu explains this well. While he has donated himself, he too, feels that there should be and are better ways to help Japan than giving money to the organization. For us, overseas, on the other side of the planet, it's hard to help. Honestly, I just want to book a ticket, fly to Japan and volunteer into helping those who have to go through all the hardship. But this is not a possibility for me right now.



So instead, I will be sending socks to Japan!





Jason Kelly has started a project to get socks and letters of hope to those in the affected areas of the earthquake and tsunami. He is close enough that he can go off to deliver the goods himself, but far enough that he can still receive mail and still be safe in this time of crisis.


I think this is a brilliant idea and I will be participating in this project. I will be dropping by the store today on my way back from work, buy a few packages of socks. I'm hopping to find brightly colored ones, because bright colors cheer me up.


If you're interested, check out Jason Kelly's website, it explains everything clearly and gives you all the details if you wish to participate in this project. His website is here: HelpJapan

I think I will also be writing a letter or two, to be given at random to the survivors.

I don't know for you, but it would give me hope and cheer me up, if I received a letter and socks from someone I didn't know, from across the world. Just shows how much people care in times like these.


What do you think of this project? Good idea? Bad idea? Have you donated money? Do you think you will participate in Socks for Japan?

7 comments:

noone on March 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM said...

thats so sweet that you are helping out japan, the socks idea sounds great and cute that you are gonna pick up colored ones!

emylie on March 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM said...

C'est tellement une idée trop cute!!♥
Je crois que je vais y participer aussi!

Hannah on March 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM said...

I think this is absolutely fantastic!!! I was just debating who to send money through, too. I know of a few good companies, but it's so hard to know for sure where your money is actually going. It's not like you can stalk it or anything >.>

Thanks so much for this!!! I sell socks at work and could probably set up a donation box!!!! ♥

Jenny on March 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM said...

I really want to send clothes because I know people lost everything so I love this idea!

bouncybrown on March 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM said...

This is a great idea! I hadn't heard about this!

Shaz said...

I've bought some ladies bed socks, hoping to send about 20 pairs next week. :3

Cynthia on March 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM said...

I made sure to donate to Red Cross since it's important to make sure that they have medical care ... but I think I will do this also! thanks for the heads up. :)

 

Gossip Candy Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos