2011-03-29

Sugar shack 2011

Posted by Suteisi ♥ at 5:30 PM
Last March 27, 0n a lovely, bright, yet still cold Sunday morning, my mother, siblings and significant others went out for our annual end of Winter slash beginning of Spring outing: the Sugar shack!

This is the same place we went last year. They renovated it ALL. It's very nice looking, clean and has some kind of fresh feeling to it. I liked it a lot, it was a fun gathering, but if my friends from overseas came to Canada and told me they want to experience a true Canadian sugar shack, I don't think I would take them there.

Not because it's not good, but because it doesn't inspire, true, "good old" sugar shack. Anyway. Let's go on with... pictures!

Outside

Inside

Impatiently waiting for food...

Yay! Food is here!

Potatoes, bacon, sausage, eggs & ham with maple syrup. Yummy~

Sugar pie for dessert!

Then we go back outside...


In the little shack at the back... maple sugar on a stick! (I'm really not sure how they call it in english, in french it's "de la tire".)


Fresh from the ice/snow.

Yum yum~

Machine to heat up the sap of the maples to create sugar and syrup.
That one's an oldie!


This was so random I had to take a picture.
Yes. It's a chair on the ceiling... Not too sure why...


It was good times! I really enjoy going to the sugar shack. Usually the maple sugar season starts in March and ends in mid or end of April, depending on the weather.

When it's time for the maple sugar, the sap from the tree is clear. When the sap becomes white, it means the season's over!


Had you ever heard of sugar shacks?
Have you been to one? Would you like to try it out?

6 comments:

karisuma gyaru on April 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM said...

OMG! i hate you!!!

this is probably the only kinda thing i miss from home... even though i almost never go, it's one thing that is truly... from home :p

btw, let me know if you find out how you call "de la tire" in English! people are always asking me here, and obviously they can't pronounce the french word, so... lol!

Homero on April 6, 2011 at 9:24 PM said...

Nice shots!!! I would like to try that Sugar pie!!!!

Justine on April 7, 2011 at 2:57 PM said...

Wow chanceuse ça l'avait l'air bon!

Je suis allée à une cabane à sucre comme on dit si bien il y a une semaine ou deux et... c'était DÉGUEULASSE. C'était cher, les serveuses étaient très désagréables et je n'ai rien mangé du repas mis à part des cornichons (wtf pourquoi il y en avait? xD), de la tarte au sirop d'érable et des crêpes (et c'était le dessert..lol).

Disons que j'en garde un mauvais souvenir... Je n'avais même plus envie de manger de la tire après ça omg hahaha

La mienne était plus old style mais c'était vraiment mauvais (et c'était plein de gens et il manquait de place..) Bref, je pourrais chialer encore longtemps LOL

Contente que la tienne a été super en tout cas :3

Saving Capulet on April 8, 2011 at 7:47 PM said...

oh gosh the food photos got me really hungry! have a nice day!!

noone on April 12, 2011 at 9:58 AM said...

lovely food photos, it makes me hungry hehe

Jenny on April 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM said...

Ahhhh I wish we had one near me!! I didn't know what they were called but the syrup in snow I've seen before & always wanted to do it but I never lived north enough that it's a 'thing' around where I live.

 

Gossip Candy Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos